Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Purpose for Life/Living

What is Your Purpose for life?

In the last month, my grandpa passed away, my uncle passed away and my grandma was admitted to the ICU for internal bleeding (and other complications) so with reason, I am thinking about life, purpose and my role in the earth. (family members, please don't take offense to what I'm about to say) After my Uncle Ralph died (only 55 yrs old), his best friend e-mailed a picture to all the friends and family and described the photo to be a good portrait of his spirit. Here's what the picture was: Uncle Ralph sitting in a lawn chair with a cigar to his mouth, a glass of Scotch in the other hand and a big smile on his face. Ok, right off the bat it IS a nice picture. It was probably ten or so years ago, he was looking healthy and happy....but I couldn't help but feel sad when I looked at him. I love my Uncle, he has been a blessing (and Judy too!) and of course my heart is for my family to be blessed, healthy and walking with God. Well, I was sad because I wondered how people would remember him if that picture is a good portrayal of his spirit. Somewhere around 8 years ago he had a liver failure due to alcoholism and he almost died. All the years after that have been a gift from God and his internal organs gave way and took his life. Only 55 years old. The choices we make, each day, affect so much-inside and those around us. I don't know where Ralph's heart was in relation to Jesus but I pray that God will draw others to Himself through these circumstances. I wonder what Ralph's last words were........What would your last words be, if you had the opportunity before leaving earth?If you were to attend your funeral (guess it wouldn't be a funeral then would it?), what would people say about you? What would you be remembered as? Remembered for? What would people say about you? What are the things they would say were most important to you? By answering those questions, I think you could do a pretty good analysis on your life.What is Your Purpose in this Life? I would love to hear your answers if you're willing to share. What do you live For? Self? Others? God? I could ask a hundred questions but my point in all of this is to say that having pondered these questions, I am so thankful to know God personally, to be secure in this life (and after) and to know that I'm accepted by Him. My life is secure, even though the economy isn't and so many other things. Life is important, lets not waste it by worrying about things we can't control.......And lastly, all this makes me wonder, what would people remember about ME??

1 comment:

k.mart said...

Guys! We had no idea your family has endured so many hard times in the last month, so first of all... our prayers are with you. And secondly, we know just what you mean. I am confident, though, that people would remember a strong woman of God ever serving, ever loving, ever reaching out for starters! But since you've only just begun, I'm not thinking any more about what we "would say"... that's why I'm saying it to you now! :) Can't wait to catch up this weekend!